Thursday, March 8, 2007

A Lesson in Sharing

My cottage mate Margaret Raftery takes the prize for being the most sharing person I've met here in Ireland. The first week I arrived she gave me an extra blanket for my bed. The second week she began sharing her blowdryer (mine had caught on fire and almost burned my hair...apparently, even though I got a plug adapter, the voltage wasn't compatible...oops). She shared her Ireland road map, which has really helped me get around. The most precious thing she has shared however, was her family. They spent the day with me on Sunday and took me to some wonderful sights. Because I miss my family so much this was just what I needed. Margaret's insight into what would be a comfort to me showed a deeper level of sharing. It is not always about the material things, but the giving of self that can really make a difference.